Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! —Matthew 23:13, 15, 23, 25, 27, 29
Those who are “religious hypocrites” only play the part of what they portray to be. There has been no change in them, just an outward appearance of change. What they are on the outside is not what they really are on the inside. Jesus said of these type people—
- They hinder people from entering the kingdom of heaven.
- They are not themselves entering the kingdom of heaven.
- They will travel long distances to make a convert.
- They make that convert twice as much a child of hell as they are.
- They are blind guides
- They tithe, but neglect justice, mercy and faithfulness
- They are full of greed and self-indulgence
- They are full of hypocrisy and wickedness
- They are descendants of those who murdered the prophets
- They will complete what their ancestors started
- They will kill and crucify prophets, sages and teachers
- They would not allow themselves to be gathered by the Lord
- They will not see the Lord again until they say— “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”
Jesus makes it very clear that those outward appearances only of following Him are hypocrisy. It is what is happening on the inside that is truly important because—
“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” —Luke 6:43-45
So what are we bringing out of our hearts? What are you and I really like on the inside. That is where our Lord looks—
“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.” —Hebrews 4:12-13
Dear Father may I truly be transformed on the inside so what I am on the outside is not hypocritical. May this be so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLwJNYu7q8&list=UUf1NPIFOBwzTLVQiEDnq4Cw&index=26