JESUS FOLLOWER— BE WISE, UNDERSTANDING AND DISCERNING!
Whoever is wise, let him understand these things; whoever is discerning, let him know them; for the ways of the LORD are right, and the upright walk in them, but transgressors stumble in them. —Hosea 14:9
The ways of the Lord are right and the wise will understand them and walk in them. The one who is discerning will know them. So, the wise and discerning will be seeking to be obedient to the Word of God. But the same Word of God that the wise hear, so also transgressors hear, but instead of walking in them they stumble in them.
As I look at our world today, especially what is happening in America, I see transgressors and they are known by their stumbling at the ways of the Lord revealed in His Word. Is God letting our nation go our own way? It appears so according to the indicators in Romans 1:18-32.
- People’s wickedness suppressing the truth
- People suppress what God has made plain to them
- They deny the evidence creation brings
- They do not glorify or give thanks to God
- Their thinking is futile
- Their foolish hearts are darkened
- They worship created things
- They practice shameful lusts
- They practice homosexuality
- They don’t think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God
- Their minds are depraved
- They do what ought not be done
- They are filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity
- They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice
- They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, and boastful
- They invent way of doing evil
- They disobey parents
- They have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy
- They know they deserve judgment, but they continue doing these things
- They also approve other who are practicing these things.
Does this look like our culture? It surely does! These are indicators that God has given a people over to their own evil, destructive, godless and lustful ways (Romans 1:24, 26, 28). Oh, repentance and calling on Jesus is the only way out of this deep darkness!
Fellow follower of Jesus, we ought to be discerning and understand what is happening around us. We need to pray. We need not fear or be anxious. We need to be faithful witnesses and disciple-makers in the midst of it all. God’s purposes for us have not changed. Let us live faithfully for Him. Yes, Dear Father may this be so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Beloved Son Jesus. So may it be! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaP8fKAR2Og