THE BLESSED ONE AND THE WICKED ONE
Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers. —Psalm 1:1-3
Are you a blessed one? The one who is truly blessed:
- “Does not walk in step with the wicked.” They do not go along with what the wicked desire to be and do. These wicked people do not want to follow God and His ways, they want to follow their own ways or Satan’s ways. Wickedness many times puts the appearance of righteousness (II Corinthians 11:12-15) and even comes as wolves in sheep’s clothing (Matthew 7:15). So many times they claim to know God but by their actions they deny Him (Titus 1:16).
- “Does not stand in the way that sinners take.” They do not wait in the area where those who do wickedness come. They do not want to be yoked up with the wicked as the wicked go along in their way (II Corinthians 6:14-16).
- “Does not sit in the company of mockers.” They do not want to be among those who are mocking God and His ways. They do not want to be associated with those mocking God, mocking His ways, mocking His people and generally are simply rebelling against God. “Bad company corrupts good character” (I Corinthians 15:33).
Instead, the truly blessed one:
- “Delights in the law of the Lord.” God’s Word brings the blessed one joy. He is so encouraged that the Lord has given him instruction and guidance to follow throughout his life. The blessed one is a wise man and not a fool (Matthew 7:24-27).
- “Meditates on his law day and night.” The blessed one is constantly and consistently pondering what God’s Word says to apply to life. The blessed one desires to live according to the truth of God’s Word and seeks His Word, ponders His Word to do so (Acts 17:10-12).
The results are:
- The blessed one “is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.”
- The wicked one “are like chaff that the wind blows away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous (Psalm 1:4-5).
Which describes you?
Dear Father may I seek to be faithfully considering Your Word. What You have to say is of utmost importance and I need to be listening and applying what You say to my life and encourage others to do the same. That is what really counts and may I do so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXNo3zmX1TY