So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. —Deuteronomy 5:32-33
“If you love me, keep my commands… Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” —John 14:15, 21
If I truly love God then I am going to obey Him. This is the first and greatest command— “One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: ‘Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?’ Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment” (Matthew 22:36-38). We are not talking about mere head knowledge here. No, we are talking about lovingly obeying what He says and not just storing up what knowledge of what He says.
How many messages have we heard through preachers and teachers? We may have heard them at a local church, on the radio, through social media… Now how much of what we heard are we obeying? Let me ask some questions about the basics…
- Jesus said that we would be His witnesses. A Jesus witness speaks about what they have seen and heard about Jesus. When was the last time you bore witness about Jesus? (Acts 1:8; 4:12)
- Jesus commanded us to make disciples that are obedient. Disciple-making is a basic command for followers of Jesus. How are you involved in making disciples that will be obedient in also making disciples? (Matthew 28:16-20)
- Giving to the needy is a righteous act that followers of Jesus practice (Matthew 6:1-4). When was the last time you gave help to someone in need?
- Prayer is another aspect for the follower of Jesus that is expected (Matthew 6:5-15). How is your prayer life?
- Fasting is also expected by our Lord to be practiced among His followers (Matthew 6:16-18). When was the last time you fasted?
- Love for our neighbor is expected. This is like the first and greatest command (Matthew 22:39). When was the last time you expressed love to another person?
As I ponder these basics for we who follow Jesus I have to ask, “How am I doing?” Am I truly loving God? It will be seen in my obedience to Him! Clearly we can see in parables what it means to be obedient. In the parable of the talents it was those who were lovingly obedient to apply what they were given that were praised. The one who was not obedient experienced loss (Matthew 25:14-30). Oh, that you and I would be lovingly obedient to our Lord. Yes, Dear Father, may this be so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAN5ObaRQg