OUR MESSIAH, THE SON OF GOD!
The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.” “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?” “He is worthy of death,” they answered. Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him and said, “Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?” —Matthew 26:63-68
So what did they hear Jesus say that stirred them to condemn Him to death?
- Jesus acknowledged that He was the Son of God when asked.
- Jesus said they would see Him sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One.
- Jesus said He would be coming on the clouds of heaven.
What were the reactions to what Jesus said?
- The high priest tore his clothes.
- The high priest said Jesus had spoken blasphemy.
- The high priest said they didn’t have need of any more witnesses.
- The high priest said they all heard Jesus had spoken blasphemy
- The high priest ask the others what they thought
- The others said Jesus was “worthy of death.”
- They spit in Jesus’ face.
- They struck Him with their fists.
- They slapped Him.
- They told Him to prophesy to them.
- They mocked His claim of being the Messiah.
These leaders and the others present knew what Jesus was saying and they rejected Him. This was nothing new. They had wanted to kill Jesus numerous times because of Who He Is— “For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God” (John 5:18). There was no doubt as to who Jesus was saying He was. He was not just “a son of God,” but he was “the Son of God.” He would not just be in heaven, but He would be “sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One.” Yes, they knew who Jesus was saying He was and they wanted to kill Him for it… and eventually would.
Now here are the questions I have. Do I and do you believe Jesus is the Son of God, the Messiah as much as they believed Him to be speaking blasphemy with those claims? Am I and are you as committed to following Jesus as much as they were committed to killing Him? May it be so! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUxI-ynsTnM
Dear Father though I understand so little, You have given me all I need to understand and believe who Jesus is and what He has done. Now may I gratefully live according to Your desires for what You want me to be and do. May this be so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. So be it!