IMMATURITY OR MATURITY IN CHRIST
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. —Hebrews 5:12-14
Are you a follower of Jesus? How have you matured since calling on His Name? Are you able to teach others God’s Word? Or, are you in need to have “someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God?” Are you still in need of the milk of the Word or are you feeding on solid food?
Here’s what we are told in this passage and it would be good to do an assessment of where we are in our walk with the Lord. —
- There comes a time, as we mature in Jesus, that we are able to teach the Word of God to others. Teaching takes place in a variety of ways. It can be with an individual or various sized groups. It should start with family and then beyond family. But the question is— are you a teacher of God’s Word. If the answer is no, then that gives an indication of your lack of spiritual maturity. You are probably more like a sponge (soaking up information) than a conduit (information flowing from you to others). Which are you— a sponge or a conduit?
- The immature follower that is not growing needs someone to teach them “again the basic principles of the oracles of God.” This implies that the basic teachings of God’s Word that once was known has been lost.
- Those in need of the basic truths of God’s Word are likened to a baby needing milk. That is all their “system” can digest. If we do not have and remember the basic teaching of God’s Word, then we will never mature. Here are some basics— Love the Lord your God with all that you are and love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:37-40). Be a witness for Jesus— proclaiming to others what you have seen and heard (Acts 1:8). Be obedient in making disciples (Matthew 28:18-20). Those are some basics.
- Solid food is for the mature. These are the teaching of God’s Word that go beyond the basics— Sovereignty of God, justification, sanctification, glorification…
- Mature constantly apply God’s Word to life
- Mature have discernment of good and evil
- Mature are trained by constant application of God’s Word to life
It is not just about attaining knowledge for the followers of Jesus. No, to mature in our Lord Jesus Christ is to apply His Word to life. His Word trains us in how to live, serve Him and others. So, are you on milk or solid food? Oh, that we all would be on solid food by now. Yes, Dear Father, may this be so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. So be it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zaaiFp4RSM