REASONING WITH PEOPLE ABOUT JESUS
So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there. —Acts 17:17
And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us. —Acts 17:26-27
The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.” —Acts 17:30-31
Paul was regularly in the synagogue and in the marketplace reasoning with the people about Jesus. We are told that he did this daily. This is a challenge to me as I think about how often I reason with people about Jesus.
What were some of the things Paul reasoned with them about? Let’s look at a few things from the above verses.
- He spoke about God’s creation of man and how that every nation of mankind on the earth came from one man— Adam. Yes, all the nations of the earth can trace their origins back to Adam and Eve.
- He spoke about God’s determination of a nation’s longevity which can also be applied to His determining how long each man would live as well.
- He spoke about God’s determination of a nation’s boundaries and this can also be applied to His determining where each individual would live.
- He spoke about man’s responsibility to seek God because He is not far from any of us.
- He spoke about ignorance being overlooked, but not anymore
- He spoke about God’s command that people everywhere are to repent— turn from their own ways and follow His ways.
- He spoke about a day coming when our Father has appointed Jesus to judge the world in righteousness.
- He spoke about the assurance God has given that this judgment will happen by raising Jesus from the dead.
Important topics for any follower of Jesus to speak about: God’s creation of man and nations, God’s determining how long the life of a nation or individual lasts, God’s determining where a nation or individual is located, man’s responsibility to seek God, God will no longer overlook ignorance, God commands people everywhere to repent, Jesus will judge this world and this is assured by the resurrection of Jesus.
When was the last time you spoke about any of these topics with someone? May we do so today. What a challenge to how often, consistently and persistently the apostle Paul spoke to people about Jesus. Oh Dear Father that we would be speaking of Jesus to people more often. May we do so by the power of Your Holy Spirit and in the authority of Your Son Jesus. So may it be! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-1971qLX-E